Mother’s Day Gift And Tradition Ideas For Your One-Of-A-Kind Mom
We all know that Mother’s Day gifts and traditions should be as unique and thoughtful as your one-of-a-kind mom. Still, it can be challenging to find just the right gift for your mom, especially if you have a tight budget and not enough time. That’s why we put together a handy list of easy-to-implement creative ideas that will show your mom just how much you care.
Read on for creative ways to celebrate moms who love to garden, cook, relax, or travel. In addition, we’ve included a few ideas for all the women who are “like moms” to you, including sisters, aunts, BFFs, and grandmas.
Affordable And Creative Mother’s Day Gift And Tradition Ideas For Moms Who:
- Travel And Love Adventures
- Love Traditional Mother’s Day Gifts
- Have It All
- Are “Like Moms” To Us (Aunts, Grandmas, Sisters, And Friends) –
Mother’s Day Gifts For Moms Who Love To Garden
Instead of a macaroni heart, why not have the kids help make Mom a seed heart she can plant in her garden or a pretty Spring planter? These seed hearts are a truly thoughtful Mother’s Day gift for any mom who loves to garden.
Recipe For Seed Hearts
1 Cup Of Paper Strips
1 Cup Of Water
Red or Pink Edible Food Coloring (Or use red or pink paper to start)
2 or 3 Tablespoons of Wildflower Seeds
- Tear sketch or construction paper into small pieces (between one and two inches square).
- Gently push the paper pieces into a measuring cup until you have about one cup full and then place the measured paper into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Warm up the water (water should be very warm, but not hot).
- If you are using white paper, add red or pink food coloring to the warm water and then pour the warm water over the paper pieces until they are totally covered.
- Let the paper strips soak in the warm water for 2 hours or more.
- Blend the mixture with a hand mixer or in a blender until it resembles oatmeal.
- Use a mesh strainer or a splatter screen to let the excess moisture drip out. Don’t squeeze the paper or let the mixture get too dry to shape.
- Gently stir in 2 or 3 tablespoons of wildflower seeds by hand.
- Use a spoon to spread the mixture inside a heart-shaped cookie cutter placed on parchment paper. (If you don’t have cookie cutters, you can smooth the paper into one big sheet and cut shapes. Just be careful not to make your paper too thin or it will tear easily when you try to remove it from the parchment paper.)
- Use a balled-up paper towel to gently press into the seed paper mix and flatten it as evenly as possible. The hearts will shrink as they dry, so be careful not to make them too thin!
- Gentle peel the paper away after you remove the mold. (If it cracks apart, just start over or add a wet piece to hold it together more firmly.)
- Let the paper dry overnight on a splatter screen or another surface that allows air to circulate underneath the hearts.
- Affix the hearts with eco-friendly glue or twine to a slender stick or a pipe cleaner and place within a vase or on the front of a recycled paper card. Include these simple planting instructions:
- Fill the planter almost all the way to the top with gently packed soil.
- Place the seed heart on top and cover it with a thin layer of soil.
- Water generously. Enjoy your lovely wildflower display!
If your mom loves pretty ways to display her favorite blooms, here’s a great idea for DIY painted mason jars. We also have a wide assortment of stylish and inspirational garden décor on PreciousMoments.com.
Fill your mason jars or planters with Spring flowers (and seed hearts!) and you’ve got a truly wonderful home decor gift for Mother’s Day.
Did you know that you can buy markers that are made to decorate cloth material? Not only can these be used to make lovely gifts, the artwork can be washed and used again – many moms think the fading that naturally occurs with washing over time actually increases the charm. Just imagine the possibilities of writing a special message, creating a unique design, or turning children’s art into adorable towels, aprons, and more.
In addition, consider buying mom a cooking class at a local restaurant with a talented chef. If your budget is tight, you can also register Mom for affordable online cooking classes at America’s Test Kitchen. If you want to spend time with your mom, make a date with her to try out a new dish together using a free online video or cooking show.
Finally, Precious Moments has an abundance of cook-friendly figurines, farmhouse kitchen décor, and great tableware that is sure to make your favorite chef smile.
Traditional Mother’s Day Gifts
While Mother’s Day brunches and floral gifts are great, sometimes they can be a little steep in price. Instead of a big floral arrangement or a brunch at an expensive restaurant, choose one of these adorable Precious Moments bud vases and host a brunch at home.
Make a simple fruit salad, homemade or prepackaged cinnamon rolls, a traditional or crustless quiche, and some extra delicious coffee, tea, or hot cocoa. Serve your hot drinks in one of these lovely mugs for a special touch.
For dessert, consider freezing in an ice cube tray some organic cherry or other favorite fruit juice (it’s best to use dark fruit juices that are rich in flavor but don’t contain pulp.) Serve a few crushed cubes as delicious homemade sorbet.
Of course, breakfast in bed is a perfect Mother’s Day gift for moms who love traditions too. To make Mom’s day extra special, browse our lovely farmhouse décor for wonderful ways to present your Mother’s Day breakfast. Our sturdy serving tray is large enough to include a special picture in a new frame and a lovely pitcher filled with garden implements, kitchenware or Spring flowers. Pink or red carnations are a great way to accent your traditional Mother’s Day gift! You can read about the historical significance of these flowers in our 2017 Mother’s Day blog here.
Mother’s Day Gifts For Moms Who Love to Relax
Many local vendors and studios offer specials on Mother’s Day, so take advantage and buy a gift certificate for a day at a spa, a yoga class, or a meditation event.
Place the certificate in a gift basket with a lavender eye pillow, relaxing homemade lavender bath salts, a soothing sounds CD or gift card for a download from a music site, and one of our adorable Mother’s Day figurines.
Recipe For Homemade Lavender Bath Salt
1 cup of oatmeal
1 cup of Epsom salt
2 tablespoons lavender buds or culinary lavender (plenty of options for both of these are available online)
- Use a blender or a food processor to grind the oatmeal into a flour-like texture (you can also buy colloidal oatmeal which is already processed.)
- Then, combine the oatmeal with the Epsom salt and stir well until it is thoroughly combined.
- Add lavender a little at a time until you like the scent. (Be careful lavender is a strong scent.).
- Finally, place this mixture in a small mason jar or a pretty lined bag and include “instructions” for Mom.
- Draw A Warm Bath
- Sprinkle plenty of these healing salts into the tub
- Get in and relax. You deserve it, Mom!
- Think about the fact that you raised a thoughtful kid – good job!
You can add “made with love by your favorite daughter” or another sweet or humorous sentiment as well.
P.S. If you’re on a really tight budget, you can create a spa day right at home. You and Mom can enjoy relaxing activities like manicures, a good movie, facial masks, hair conditioning, hot tea, and other fun homespun ideas.
Gifts For Moms Who Love Adventures And Travel
Even on a small budget, you can find wonderful gifts that are just right for moms who love adventures. Sites like Living Social offer all kinds of inexpensive local ideas that are sure to satisfy any traveler. Just click on sightseeing and tours to find discounts on everything from helicopter rides to wine tours.
For a more personal adventure, schedule a day with Mom at a hilly park or a lake nearby. Bring delicious coffee and muffins and enjoy a morning snack before you go on a wonderful hike.
To make this an especially meaningful, memorable day, be sure to tell Mom “thank you” for all she’s done and ask her to tell you about how she learned to be such a great mom as the two of you walk along.
Find a childhood photo of you and your siblings, you and a favorite pet, or just you. Then, enlist the help of a friend or family member to snap a photo in the same positions you were in at the time of the childhood photo. This can be really fun if you choose a toddler picture. Mom will enjoy laughing and remembering as she enjoys looking at her truly thoughtful gift from you.
By the way, we’ve got plenty of stylish picture frames at PreciousMoments.com.
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas For ALL The Moms In Your Life
Remember to celebrate your big sister, your aunt, or your grandma if these women were like a mother to you. This can be as simple as a phone call or a gift from Precious Moments that captures the special bond you share. We have a wonderful selection of figurines, coffee mugs, home accents, and more for you to consider. For example, if you want to celebrate Grandma, this gift is especially fabulous!
Message Ideas For Women Who Are “Like Mothers” To You:
“No surprise that I thought of you on Mother’s Day. You’ve always had a mother’s heart. Thank you for being like a mom to me.”
“Grandma, you’re not only the best grandma, but you gave me the best mom! Thank you and Happy Mother’s Day.”
“When I think of the word “Mom”, I think of people like you, who inspired me with kindness and cared for me with love. Happy Mother’s Day!”
Truly, there is no greater blessing than a loving mom or her fortunate child, and we want to extend our heartfelt appreciation for all the wonderful mothers we’ve met and all those we have yet to meet.
If you’d like to see more Mother’s Day gift ideas and traditions, please visit our blog from 2017 here.
Thank you for reading our post. We hope your Mother’s Day is filled to the brim with precious moments and loving hearts.
Happy Mother’s Day from all of us at Precious Moments.